Financial Aid Is Available To Those Who Qualify
Steps to Apply for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA)
STEP 1: Create a FSA ID
- To apply for your FSA ID go to www.studentloans.gov
- Click on Create a New FSA ID. Complete the FSA ID application.
- Your FSA ID is your electronic signature for FAFSA on the web. If you are a dependent student your parents will also need to apply for their FSA ID to sign your FAFSA.
The Department of Education considers a student independent by the following criteria:
- You are at least 24 years old on the day you file your FAFSA
- You are married on the day you file your FAFSA
- You have dependents and you are supporting your household more than 50%
- You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were until age 18)
- You are a veteran or currently serving on active duty in the U. S Armed Forces
- You were a foster child after the age of 13
- You are an emancipated child as determined by the courts
If none of the above criteria apply to you, you are a dependent student.
STEP 2: Gather Information
- Gather YOUR most tax return information (Federal 1040, 1040A, or 1040 EZ and W-2 forms)
- If you are a dependent student you will also need YOUR PARENT(s) most tax information (Federal 1040, 1040A or 1040 EZ and W-2 forms)
- If you are a married student on the day you complete your FAFSA you also need your SPOUSE to provide their tax information (Federal 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ and W-2 forms).
**If you are unable to locate your W-2 forms or tax documents please visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to retrieve your tax transcript online.
STEP 3: Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Complete the FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- If you have already filled out a FAFSA there is no need to do it again. Just add Taylor Andrews Academy – St George’s school code 041842 and remove the other school codes that you used previously.
- When asked to “link” to the IRS site click yes. You will be directed to the IRS site where you must type in your personal information exactly (case sensitive) as it is shown on your tax forms. When asked if you would like to import this information into your FAFSA, say yes. By linking the information you reduce the possibility of verification.
*Please note that the FAFSA is a FREE Application for Federal Student Aid and will never ask for payment information.
STEP 4: Complete your Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at:
- Go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action sign in using the PIN that you previously created and complete Entrance Counseling and your Master Promissory Note if you will be taking any student loans from FAFSA.
If you have any questions or need assistance with Financial Aid please contact our Financial Aid Office at 435-673-8150.